Do you sell products which are downloadable files, e.g., ebooks, softwares, music, videos etc? Downloadable products have their own features and settings that you should be aware of. For example, how many times can a person download your product from the download link you’ve shared with them? Or can a customer share the download link with other people?
Not only can you add downloadable products to your store catalog, you can also add samples of your downloadable product to the product details page. For example, you can provide a sample ebook with introduction and a few pages of a chapter. Or you can provide a trial version of your software.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create downloadable products in Magento 2.
Step 1: Go to Products => Catalog (under Inventory)
Step 2: Click on Add Product button and select Downloadable Product from the drop-down list.
Notice that the New Product page is almost similar to when adding a simple product. The only difference is a new section called Downloadable Information.
Step 3: Fill in the New Product page forms similar to when adding a simple product. We’ve covered a complete explanation of all the fields in our tutorial on how to manage products in Magento 2.
Step 4: There are two parts to your Downloadable Information section – Links and Samples.
Fill in the following details in the Links section:
- Is this downloadable Product? – Keep this box checked.
- Title – Type in the title of your downloadable product link.
- Links can be purchased separately – Do you have multiple items in this downloadable product? Check this box if you want to make them available for purchase individually.
- Add Link button – Click this button to add a link or upload a file for your downloadable product.
- Title: Type in the title for your download link.
- Price: This section becomes available when you set links to be available for purchase separately.
- File: This is the downloadable file. You can either specify a web address from where the customer will be able to download your product, or you can upload a file from your computer.
- URL: Select this option from the File drop-down list and specify the URL in the field form below.
- Upload File: Select this option from the File drop-down list and click on Browse Files button to upload a file from your computer.
- Sample: You can add a sample file for individual links as well. It is similar to adding downloadable links. You can choose one of the following options:
- URL: Specify URL for sample download.
- Upload File: Click on Browse Files button and upload a file from your computer.
- Shareable: You can set this option to –
- Yes: If you want your customer to receive a download link in their email. Your customer can then share this link with other people.
- No: If you want your customer to log in to their store account and access the download link from there.
- Max. Downloads: You can set a limit to how many times a customer can use this link to download the purchased product.
- Unlimited: Check this box if you want to set no limit to the number of downloads.
Step 5: Fill in the Samples section of your downloadable information:
- Title: Type in the title for your sample download link.
- Add Link button: Click on the Add Link button to add a link or upload a file from your computer for the customer to download:
- Title: You can have multiple sample links and will require a unique name of each sample download link. Type in the title for your sample download link here.
- File: Similar to adding Links, you can choose one of the following options as the source of download:
- URL: Specify a URL from where a customer can download the sample.
- Upload File: Click Browse Files button to select the file you want to upload.
Step 6: Once you’ve filled in the details on your New Product page, click on the Save button to save your downloadable product.
Your new downloadable product is now visible in your store.
This concludes our tutorial on how to create downloadable products in Magento 2.